There’s no reason to purchase expensive Star Trek uniforms or costumes when you can make your own version for a fraction of the cost. The process is simple and the most of the materials can be found at your local craft store. And for the price you’d pay for a store-purchased uniform shirt, why not make three?
Here’s the materials list to make your own Star Trek uniform:
- Long-sleeved red, blue or gold t-shirt
- Black cloth paint
- Cloth paint brush
- Gold duct tape
- Black sharpie marker
Steps for making your Star Trek uniform:
- Fold newspaper so that it fits snugly inside the neck hole of the t-shirt
- Carefully apply black cloth paint to the thin band around the neck line. Let it dry for several hours and up to 72 hours before laundering.
- For the Star Trek badge, cut a 2-3 inch section of gold duct tape and lay it gently onto a flat, smooth surface. With the black sharpie marker, either hand draw or trace from an image downloaded from the web, the outline of the badge. Carefully draw the appropriate insignia on the badge with the black sharpie. Then, using the tips of the scissors, carefully cut out the badge and place it on the upper left shoulder of the t-shirt.
- For the sleeve stripes, cut four 5-6 inch x 1 inch long sections from the gold duct tape and affix to the sleeves near the edge. Be sure to line the sleeves up together so that the stripes are aligned on each sleeve.
- Now simply find a pair of black pants, tights, sweat pants, or jeans and a pair of black shoes or boots.